April 5, 2012 Posted by: Britty Wagner
B2B Lead Generation Strategies for Companies Part 7: Email Marketing
Join our Newsletter
B2B Lead Generation Strategies for companies are imperative for generating sales leads.
Email marketing is an effective B2B lead generation tool not to be overlooked due to its low cost which may offer speedy results based on the list size and products offered. Prior to beginning your email marketing campaign you must build an email list by planting several opt-in forms on and off the web. Some online locations may be obvious and other may surprise you.
Here is a quick list to assist in maximizing your B2B lead generation strategies pertaining to email marketing opt-ins;
- Your website: on every page or at the very least the most visited webpages.
- FaceBook Fanpage
- In your emails signature
- Ads, coupons and marketing materials
- Email confirmation for purchases or printed receipts
- Landing pages for PPC campaigns
- Videos … yes videos. This is a fairly new development which enables you to embed a Call-to-Action within your video, including an opt-in form. I will cover this further later in this this B2B lead generation strategies series.
To help entice new sign-ups you may consider offering;
- Contests or giveaways
- Videos and/or Podcasts
- A multi email mini course based on a topic of your choose
- Free trials
Click to view details
As you continue building your list it is wise to organize it to better suit each recipient with relevant information and/or updates by;
- Email Opt-ins
- Customers list based on products they’ve previously purchased so you may update them on new and related products.
When planning your email marketing campaign, keep in mind you have 3 seconds to ‘Wow’ your recipient before they hit that delete button. Those 3 seconds start with your subject line, if they like what they read you have 5 more seconds from when they open it or begin reading in the viewing panel. When creating an email campaign, be sure to place your best eye-catching content or offers above the page fold within the viewing panel so you may intrigue them to read further.
Must haves for email marketing content;
- Create a compelling subject line related to the core content. Plus, avoid ALL CAPS, the word ‘Free’ and multiple exclamation points!!!! These are perceived as being spam and will increase your chances of being blacklisted.
- Address the recipient by name in the email this adds a personal touch.
- The ‘From’ field may be addressed from an employee with your company if selling a service, software or a complex product.
- Create content which is useful to the recipient. By creating content that is relevant to their needs or problems you in return gain their trust.
- HTML and plain text copy
- Call to Action
- Web version
- Social sharing buttons
- Unsubscribe link
Test, Test, Test! As you strive to make the perfect email marketing campaign you will need to test and retest to improve results such as; open rate, click-through, conversion rate and conversion value. The common areas tested are;
- Subject line
- Call to action
- Email timing; week, day, time
- Creative layouts: buttons versus text links, positioning, size, color, phrasing, repetition
- Landing page layouts
Subscribe to Stay Tuned for the next post in this B2B Lead Generation Strategies for Companies series: Podcasts.